Dr. Izchak Barzilay:Below are some of the recent professional accomplishments for Dr. Barzilay:
– Founded and launched the Build Your Smile Dental Foundation – a non-profit organization providing dental services to underserved communities locally and internationally
– Locally, the Foundation initiated and established partnerships with two supportive housing facilities -Street Haven at the Cross Roads, an emergency shelter for homeless women, as well as The Grant House – a residential treatment centre for women afflicted with addiction. The aim of the initiative is to improve dental awareness, provide dental care (at no cost) and recreate smiles to aid in re-entry into the workforce and community. Dentistry offered includes emergency care (trauma, infection, pain control) restorations, periodontal services, oral surgery and missing tooth replacement (dental implants or dentures), as well as oral hygiene instructions, smoking cessation support and nutritional counselling.
– February 2018 – completed 6th annual volunteer outreach trip to Uganda in the position of Dental Team Lead with a Toronto based non-profit organization – Bridge to Health Medical and Dental – services offered to the rural communities of Uganda, under Dr Barzilay’ s supervision included – extractions, composite restorations, scaling, fluoride application, same -day denture fabrication and implant surgery.
– November 2018 – organized and hosted an Inaugural International Dental Symposium in Kampala , Uganda.
– a 3 day continuing education program consisted of 2 days of lectures presentations (topics included – anesthetic methods, sterilization, restorative dentistry, preventive dentistry, pharmacology, emergency management, pediatric dentistry and prosthodontics)
– Dr. Daniel Haas – Dean, Faculty of Dentistry University of Toronto and Dr. Chetna Mistry joined Dr Barzilay as speakers for the Symposium
– a hands-on implant restoration demonstration was held at the dental school in Kampala
– the International Symposium was attended by 300 students, representing 6 local schools in the Kampala region as well as Deans, School Administrators, Government Officials and members of the Ugandan Media
– the symposium was endorsed by the Prime Minister – Justin Trudeau, City of Toronto Mayor – John Tory as well as the Premier of Ontario – Doug Ford
– the International Dental Symposium will become an annual event as one of the initiatives under the Build Your Smile Dental Foundation
– Global Academic Grant – Dr. Barzilay has founded an academic grant program which sponsors one student per year through a 3 year dental officer certification program in Uganda
– Dr Barzilay is the incoming president for the American Prosthodontic Society